The sequence of events goes like this:
- The Alt Right comes about as a serious alternative to out-of-touch mainstream conservatism
- Donald Trump comes along, sees the $100 bill lying on the ground, and champions some of the issues the Alt Right feels most strongly about. These are also the issues a majority of regular Americans feel most strongly about.
- Support for Trump becomes the litmus test of Alt Right-ness
- Trump proves to be vacuous, but this doesn’t change #3
- Hillary paints the Alt Right as “Beavis and Butthead on 4Chan”
- Liberated by vacuousness, the Alt Right doubles down on being Beavis and Butthead on 4Chan
- The Alt Right ceases to be a serious alternative to out-of-touch mainstream conservatism
Long story short, I’m not voting in November.